This section is intended to provide you with an overview of FERS – from how and why the plan is offered, to eligibility requirements, retirement income options, and related programs. Click on the subheadings below to access the specific topic of interest within this page. This section will discuss the following:
- Eligibility – The main eligibility requirements for the common types of retirements.
- Computation – How your retirement annuity is computed.
- Creditable Service – Rules showing the civilian and military service that can be used to compute your FERS retirement benefits.
- Planning and Applying – It’s never too early to start planning for retirement in order to ensure it goes smoothly. Here you will find information to help ensure your retirement starts well.
- Early Retirement – Explanation of the minimum retirement age and early retirement if your agency under goes a “reduction in force” or you are involuntarily separated other than for cause.
- Types of Retirement – Learn about the age, service requirements and considerations affecting the various types of retirement.
- Deferred – If you are a former Federal employee who was covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), you may be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62 or the Minimum Retirement Age (MRA).
- Survivors – When a Federal employee dies, monthly or lump sum benefits may be payable to survivors. Learn about these Survivor benefits here.
- Military Retired Pay – Adding military service to your civilian service
- Service Credit – Payment to increase your annuity for civilian service when no CSRS retirement deductions were withheld or were refunded or for military service after 1956.
- Former Employees – Options if you leave your Government job before becoming eligible for retirement.
PLEASE NOTE: The information being provided is strictly as a courtesy. When you link to any of the web sites provided here, you are leaving this website. We make no representation as to the completeness or accuracy of information provided at these websites. Nor is the company liable for any direct or indirect technical or system issues or any consequences arising out of your access to or your use of third-party technologies, websites, information and programs made available through this web site. When you access one of these websites, you are leaving our website and assume total responsibility and risk for your use of the websites you are linking to.